Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Challenge & The Blessing

52 Week Project 2012 ~ 3/52
A theme of contentment--giving thanks in all circumstances--has woven its way through the third week of my 52 Week Project, and waking up to the freshly laid blanket of snow outside, I'd say, wrapped it up quite nicely. 

This family of trees has gathered in our front yard since before we built our house here over 11 years ago. I can remember passing countless Spring afternoons rocking away on the hammock under the shade-casting branches of these trusty trees; summer memories of sword fighting with their fallen branches and then playing fetch with our dog Trudy who'd always interrupt the game; fall days filled with the fierce competition for first place in the classic Edelman family game of Catch the Leaves; snowy days like today that make me slow down from the hustle and bustle of life and pause....

Closing my eyes I breathe in the crisp scent of winter bliss and let out a deep sigh of contentment as the gentlest of smiles glides across my sleepy-eyed face; thus, concluding my much needed moment of escape.

I've been challenged this week to transform those brief moments of escape, of silent bliss, of peaceful contentment, to reflect my everyday-state-of-mind. The challenge initially came to me while sitting in a wooden pew of a church out in Reading. Pat and I wanted to check out this church because he was interviewing for their worship leader position later in the week. Visiting the church was slightly a spur of the moment decision, but I thank God for bringing us there that morning. I went in thinking I wouldn't enjoy a traditional church service, let alone a sermon on finances. Thankfully, though, God knows I enjoy a challenge; hence, my strong conviction by this verse the Pastor mentioned. Hebrews 13:5 states, "...be content with what you have, because God has said, 'Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you' (Deut. 31:6)" (NIV).

I went through the rest of my day pretty much headache free, thanking the Lord for that blessing along with the blessing of participating in the Body of Christ, fellowship, and prayer; music, food, and friends; life, love, and happiness. Everything! In addition to the challenge of contentment God presented me with that morning, He also gave me a renewed perspective. From there, He encouraged me that living with a heart of thanksgiving will provide the joy and hope necessary to sustain me through whatever trials may come.

And surely, the trials came. Before gaining victory in this challenge, God decided to test me--starting first thing Monday morning--when I woke up with a really sore throat. (Because I have Lyme disease, my white blood cell count is extremely low, which makes it hard for my body to fight off other viruses and bacteria. It's always bad. That's why I hate getting sick on top of everything else. So, being sick and content is very challenging for me.) In order to confirm that I grasped the concepts of this lesson of contentment, I spent the entire week in bed sick as a dog with really bad headaches again. At least that was my reasoning as I lied awake in bed. It's easy to give thanks when the days seem good; however, when the days are bad, long, or painful, maintaining an attitude of thankfulness grows much more difficult. I convinced myself that this sickness was all part of the challenge, though, and I became determined to finish well.

My Memory Verse:
"The Lord is gracious and righteous; our God is full of compassion"
Psalm 116:5
Ironically, this week's devotional had me read Psalm 116, memorize verse 5, and meditate on the following quote by John R. Claypool: "Thankfulness is...a resource rather than a burden which can be used by God to enable us to overcome obstacles rather than to be overcome by them."

Looking back on the week now that most of it is behind me, I curiously wonder if that "challenge" God gave me on Sunday morning was really his way of blessing me with the resource he planned on using to sustain me through this sickness. I think... Yes!

Thankfulness: a blessing in disguise.

Psalm 136:1 says, "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever."

~If you've read this post, please share something you're thankful for by posting a comment below. Don't be shy!
May thankfulness spill from us.

3 comments:

  1. I thank the Lord for the love of our Father, for the life that I have in Christ, for the indwelling Holy Spirit, for my marriage to Jill that was and is a gift from God, for our four children who help me see how different I am compared with a perfect heavenly Father, and for His grace and mercy to sustain me and transform me to grow in love and be a better father from day to day, for the privilege of being a member of the body of Christ surrounded by brothers and sisters who desire more than anything to glorify our Father, for the Word of God, for lazy snowy Saturday mornings, and for deep communion with God through prayer. Psalm 116:1-2 also says ... I love the Lord for he hard my voice; he heard my cry fro mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.

    Elisabeth, God has given you a wonderful gift and He is preparing you for great and wonderful things. I am so amazed that these wonderful things are already taking place in your life as you walk humbly with our God with contentment in the moment.

    Love,
    Your earthly father, Dad. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    I like reading your posts-- you do have a gift. I was an English major, so I appreciate good writing. You might like to join us for class first service tomorrow (if you get it in time, and are up to it...!!-- and if you haven't already taken the course. Itis led by your Dad, but aybe you could handle it. But-- it does have a ton of reading-- which is not just ":reading" but really deep stuff. We're studying Andrew Murray's With Jesus is the School of Prayer (don't know how to underline that!)- WOW -- incredible!! But yeah I know you have a lot on your plate. Even if you got hhim to buy you the book and give you the study booklet and you could maybe do 1 a week -- we get to do 4-5 a week... It is really good stuff!
    Love in Christ, Janna , a student again...

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I take time to reflect on my life, sometimes I see good things and sometimes I see how much time I have spent in fear, insecurities, or past regrets. With a busy life as a college student, it's often easy for me to forget to take time to reflect on the good things in life and the good God I try my best to live for everyday. There have been so many things lately that have opened my eyes to all the great things in my life, and all the things and people I am so thankful for that I often take for granted.
    I was watching a documentary in class the other day called "The Human Experience" and in that film, two brothers travel the world and visit people that live under some of the most horrible conditions physically. Despite their physical ailments, these people were so happy and filled with the joy that only comes from our kind heavenly father. I look at my life and I see how blessed I truely am...good health, wonderful family and friends, an opportunity to study at an amazing college, breath and energy for each day, and ultimately a beautiful and awesome heavenly Savior. In hearing your own story, I am truely inspired and thankful to hear your words of encouragement and strength, and I have been blessed just reading them. I am so thankful for God's words in Deuteronomy 31:6, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." In times when I feel worried or afraid, I couldn't be more comforted and appreciative of that promise. God is a great God and I'm so thankful to be His child. <3 Tiffany

    ReplyDelete